Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Vanilla Chia Pudding & The Neapolitan Smoothie

I am not a morning person.

But I AM a breakfast person. You know those people who are like, "Yeah I don't really eat breakfast." That is not me. Those people are crazy and I don't associate with them. Just kidding. I still love you even if you don't eat breakfast (even though its the most important meal of the day!! Sheesh.)

What to eat for breakfast is the most exciting and difficult decision I have to make all day. But now that it's warming up here in central California, I will most likely be putting away the toaster and frying pans, and turning to my trusty blender. Because I love smoothies. You know those crazy people who are like, "Yeah, I don't really like smoothies." That is also not me. I'm surprised that I haven't toasted the motor on my blender yet (especially because I found it in my mom's garage years ago and stole it when I moved out.)

You guys are in for a treat today because not only are you getting like 4 recipes in one post, but all of them can either be enjoyed for breakfast or dessert! Yes, you read that right. And you're welcome.

The first recipe is for Vanilla Chia Pudding. If you've never used chia seeds before, I highly recommend adding them into your daily diet. They are so versatile, and super good for you.


As a vegetarian and transitioning vegan, it is great to have this nourishing little superfood in my arsenal. It provides protein, fiber, essential vitamins and minerals, and also helps detox your system thanks to its gelatinous structure. They are so easy to use too. You can add a tablespoon to oatmeal or cereal, in juice or water, bake them into breads, bars and cookies, there's really no limit to how to use them. They are small and tasteless, so you wont even notice that they are there. I buy my chia seeds at Costco for a great price. You can also find them at places like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I think I've even seen them in the bulk bins at Winco. 

Vanilla Chia Pudding
- 2 cups milk (I used homemade almond milk)
- 4 heaping tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (optional)
Mix all ingredients well. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. After about 10 minutes, give it a good stir so the seeds don't settle at the bottom. You'll notice that the seeds have started to absorb the liquid. You can eat it at this point, or leave it for another hour so the seeds really soak up all the goodness and the pudding gets nice and thick. Enjoy by itself, or top with some fresh fruit. 


Okay, so now that you know how to use chia seeds let's just go ahead and jump to the finale, cuz I'm so excited to show you how to make this absolutely delicious smoothie!

Neapolitan Smoothie

Vanilla Layer
Spoon some of your prepared Vanilla Chia Pudding into the bottom of a jar or large cup. Set aside.

Strawberry Layer
In a blender, mix about 6 fresh strawberries (and a few frozen ones if you have them, for texture) and enough milk to make it smooth, about 1 cup. If you have good sweet strawberries, you wont need to add any sweetener. If they are on the tart side you can add a little honey. 
Pour strawberry layer on top of your vanilla layer. Set aside and rinse out blender.

Chocolate Layer
In your blender mix 1 frozen banana, 1 heaping tablespoon cacao powder (not cocoa powder!), and enough milk to make it smooth, about 1 cup. Pour this layer on top of your strawberry layer. 

Dunk in a straw, and marvel at the beauty you just created.


Now go nom the hell outta that nom, and bask in the fact that you are fueling your body with so much energy and nutrients that you should have no problem conquering the world. And congratulations on becoming a breakfast person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment